Insomnia

Jan 25, 2021 - 10:52 AM

Viewed 100 times

• Join in on watching and discussing this weeks movie Insomnia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emIHzg4VH8A
    From acclaimed director Chris Nolan (Memento) comes the story of a veteran police detective (Al Pacino) who is sent to a small Alaskan town to investigate the murder of a teenage girl. Forced into a psychological game of cat-and-mouse by the primary suspect (Robin Williams), events escalate and the detective finds his own stability dangerously threatened.
    Release date: May 24, 2002 (USA)
    Director: Christopher Nolan
    Screenplay: Hillary Seitz
    Box office: 113.8 million USD

Robin Williams would later say that the isolation of filming on location in Alaska contributed to his falling off the wagon and drinking relapse while shooting this film.

This film stars three Academy Award winners: Al Pacino, Hilary Swank, and Robin Williams.

During the shooting of the film there was an avalanche near the set. Footage of it shot by DOP Wally Pfister is included as an extra in the blu-ray.

Christopher Nolan told TIME Magazine that he had to deal with leading actors with highly different approaches. Al Pacino insisted on meticulous preparation, serious talks about character motivation and lots of takes, Robin Williams preferred hardly any rehearsal, but many takes, and Hilary Swank wished to do just a few takes to stay completely focused. Nolan therefore let Pacino and Williams freely experiment and work things out together, in order to get attuned to each other.

Robin Williams and Paul Dooley previously co-starred in Popeye (1980), as Popeye and Wimpy.

Both Robin Williams and director Christopher Nolan have a connection to the comic book character Batman. Williams was originally slated to play the Joker in Batman (1989) and was later approached to play the Riddler in Batman Forever (1995), while Nolan later directed the Dark Knight Trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zyjrpdyq38

This post was edited Jan 25, 2021 10:59AM

Instagram @thehollywoodjefe
  • What a odd transition for film career on Robin Williams part seeing how prior to a possible cold blooded killer was a torpedo bicep bearing sailor with a liking to spinach

Deer's are terrible mathematicians
  • @theengineerdeer Yeah I was a little confused with the casting of this one. Robin was a great actor and I could see this working but again I haven't seen this movie so we shall see...

• @theengineerdeer @thehollywoodjefe I think the casting choice is interesting, but Robin Williams was such a great dramatic actor. I can't really think of any actor today that is so good at both. To be fair, Robin Williams is larger than life for more kids from the 90s. You gotta check out his dramatic roles. This is one of my favorite scenes of his that he improvised: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8mn3nLPSMY

Insomnia is a pretty great movie, but very different from all the other Christopher Nolan movies. Al Pacino really makes you so sleepy. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but it's a great crime thriller.

• The casting really worked out well. Robin Williams was perfect for it. He was creepy but he still had the charming effect going. I definitely liked this movie.

• @hollywoodjefe I thought Al Pacino was really good in Insomnia, and so was Robin Williams. Excellent Movie.

Sure don't know what I'm going for.