Favorite recipes

Sep 2, 2020 - 11:12 AM

Viewed 173 times

• I’ll start with one I love to make and eat: Garlic and green bean Indonesian stir fry. It doesn’t really sound mind blowing, but every time I made it for others, I got at least one recipe request. It’s not original...I got it from one of the Gilroy Garlic Festival cook books. With the exception of the sauce, which holds it together flavor-wise, as with most recipes it’s a guideline.

1 lb green beans, trimmed and cut to bite sized pieces
    ~3 Tbs olive oil (I’ve been using avocado oil...higher flash point)
    Protein cut into bite sized pieces. Recipe calls for 6 chicken breast halves. I’ve used chicken, shrimp, and tofu.
    Lots of fresh, minced garlic
    1 Tbs+ minced ginger
    1 small onion, chopped
    Juice of one lime
    1 Tbs double black soy sauce (I mix 2 tsp soy sauce with 1tsp dark molasses)
    1 tsp brown sugar
    2 tsp Turmeric
    1 tsp salt (or not)
    1/2 C water
    Rice

Cook rice while preparing other ingredients
    Steam beans until just tender. Do not overcook
    Heat 2Tbs oil in Wok. Sauté protein until cooked. Set aside.
    Heat remaining oil. Sauté garlic, ginger, and onion until onion is translucent. Don’t let garlic burn.
    Add green beans.
    Add lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, turmeric, salt, and 1/4 C water.
    Let simmer for a moment or two.
    Add remaining water as necessary...sauce should not be thin.

I like to mix the dry ingredients with the 1/4 C water and lime juice, setting it aside until needed.

Serve over rice and enjoy!

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.” - HST
  • I have a set of books marks I use when searching for a recipe. I attached a photo of the various blogs I follow for inspiration.

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.41.22 AM.png

Tend to nerd out on things a bit too far. Follow me @loganmjung.
  • Logan Jung:
    I have a set of books marks I use when searching for a recipe. I attached a photo of the various blogs I follow for inspiration.

Great list...thanks!

I often ask my brother what he’s cooking. He’s always got something different in his head and on the stove/grill.

• I just have to show off this charcuterie my s/o made for us last night. It’s fantastic.

Simple and tasty - one of my favorite foods is an asparagus and brie pastry.

Time: 20-25 mins
    Ingredients: wheel of brie (one wheel will make 8 pastries), bundle? of asparagus, puff pastry sheets, pepper, salt, red pepper, garlic, honey, meat if desired
    Heat: 425 degrees

-Snap ends of asparagus off and toss into the compost bin. Bye!

• put asparagus in a bowl of olive oil, garlic, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and salt (all to taste but I say a liberal amount of everything but salt), mix it so everything is coated
    • lay out puff pastry sheets and cut into quarters
    • cut a wheel of brie into 1cm thick slices and add 2 slices diagonally on pastry.
    • lay asparagus the same way (I sometimes add prosciutto or even sautéed shrimp)
    • fold in the corners and tuck those bad bois in.
    • crack and whip an egg, brush it on the tops of the pastries after folding
    • oven for 14-15 mins at 425, check leave them in until the tops are golden

Drizzle on some honey (very necessary) and bam! Appetizer to impress, or hurt someone who is lactose intolerant like me.

CD95993F-DB31-4173-AE6E-3EF364E69DCF.jpg

This post was edited Sep 13, 2020 03:00PM

You’ll have that.
  • YetiRover:
    I just have to show off this charcuterie my s/o made for us last night. It’s fantastic.
    Simple and tasty - one of my favorite foods is an asparagus and brie pastry.
    Time: 20-25 mins
    Ingredients: wheel of brie (one wheel will make 8 pastries), bundle? of asparagus, puff pastry sheets, pepper, salt, red pepper, garlic, honey, meat if desired
    Heat: 425 degrees
    -Snap ends of asparagus off and toss into the compost bin. Bye!
    Drizzle on some honey (very necessary) and bam! Appetizer to impress, or hurt someone who is lactose intolerant like me.

Wow!

• @yetirover Wow, that looks so good, and nicely displayed. Yum!!!

Sure don't know what I'm going for.
  • Recently I made crockpot Jambalaya. It’s a little bit of a misnomer because I also use a cast iron skillet. This is an easy and hearty dish.

Basic ingredients:

12oz Andouille (make sure it’s good quality. Not all Andouille is created equal. I use locally sourced/made from The Piggery in Ithaca.

8 - 12 oz chicken breast. Cubed. I prefer breast. You can use thighs if you wish.

12 oz jumbo shrimp. Peeled and deveined.

Holy Trinity: one stalk of celery, diced. One green pepper, diced. One onion, diced.

32oz broth...chicken or vegetable. I use vegetable.

15 oz diced tomatoes.

1/2 to 1 cup rice. I have Jasmine rice...so that’s what I use.

Have some cooking oil handy. I use avocado.

I don’t feel there’s a need for additional spices.

Set crockpot to high. Add the broth and tomatoes.

Cut the andouille into 1/4” disks (think coins). Put in the skillet and sauté.

Once the andouille fat begins to coat the pan, add the trinity. Sauté a bit and add the cubed chicken. Sauté until onions become somewhat translucent. Don’t burn. Medium heat is fine...it’s not a race.

When ready, add the contents of the pan to the broth and tomatoes in the crockpot. Let that combination cook for a while. Let the flavors meld.

After an hour or two, add the rice to the crockpot. Let those ingredients cook for another 45 minutes. While tha crockpot ingredients are bubbling away, prepare the shrimp. I use a bag of uncooked, frozen, deveined shrimp. All I have to do is defrost them in cold water, and peel the shells off.

When the shrimp is ready, add to the crockpot. Let cook for 5 minutes (until thr shrimp are ready).

Spoon into bowls and eat (careful...it’s hot)!

64F25E40-D691-4AB8-8BFA-7E681E4492ED.jpg

5381A03C-5040-4B8B-9D80-4CA250C395DB.jpg

• Spanakopita

Thaw 10 oz. chopped frozen spinach
    1 roll of phyllo dough ( multiple sheets)
    10oz crumbled feta cheese
    1 med. to large onion
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 egg

Chop the onion in food processor.
    In a large skillet add 1 tablespoon oil and cook the onions and spinach together for approximately 5 to 8 min.
    In a large bowl combine the egg, feta, Parmesan, and ricotta. Add the spinach mixture to the bowl with the cheese mixture.
    Pre heat oven at 375 degrees.
    In a square 9 x 9 pan brush the bottom with EVOO.
    Layer 1 sheet of phyllo with 1/2 the sheet in the pan and the other half draped outside of the pan. Do this on all 4 sides of the pan, brushing the olive oil each time you layer a sheet of phyllo, so that the bottom of the pan has got 4 sheets overlapping and there are 4 half sheets on the outside of the pan to fold over the mixture after it is on top on the phyllo in the pan. Add the spinach cheese mixture in the pan covering the phyllo dough in the pan. Spread it all over the pan till the mixture is at the top of the pan. Then fold each sheet of phyllo over one another so it’s covering the spinach cheese mixture. Lightly brush more olive oil on the top of the phyllo dough. So now you should have spinach cheese mixture covered with the phyllo dough.
    Place in the oven for 25 to 30 min. Until nice and brown on top. Remove spanakopita from the oven and let cool, ENJOY and let me know how it turns out.

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

This post was edited Feb 2, 2021 07:28PM

Sure don't know what I'm going for.