Pots, pans, and cooking tools

Sep 14, 2020 - 7:05 PM

Viewed 291 times

• Do you have “go to” pans or tools?

I do. I have quite a few pots and pans, but the one that gets used most often is my grandmother’s 14” cast iron skillet. It’s probably 80 years old and is so well seasoned that it’s basically non-stick. Also within reach is a 2 1/2 quart Calphalon Saucepan.. Those two are my most frequently used pots/pans. I usually use wooden utensils.

I just got a Le Creuset 14” cast iron wok, I hope it too becomes a go to pan.

Gas Weber grill...all summer long.

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.” - HST
  • I love to stir fry, so I often use a heavy duty wok. I’d feel comfortable using over an outdoor fire it’s so tough feeling.
    Wooden utensils for the win, though. I feel more comfortable using them than plastic. Unsure why?

A kitchen tool that changed my life is a garlic press. No more having to peel and mince garlic!

I love cast iron. Though, I foolishly lent a friend my well seasoned family heirloom of a cast iron skillet and she RUINED IT. Left it out for a couple of weeks during the summer (I suppose) and it molded, and then tried to fix it by soaking it in soap. Sad.

You’ll have that.
  • YetiRover:
    I love to stir fry, so I often use a heavy duty wok. I’d feel comfortable using over an outdoor fire it’s so tough feeling.
    Wooden utensils for the win, though. I feel more comfortable using them than plastic. Unsure why?
    A kitchen tool that changed my life is a garlic press. No more having to peel and mince garlic!
    I love cast iron. Though, I foolishly lent a friend my well seasoned family heirloom of a cast iron skillet and she RUINED IT. Left it out for a couple of weeks during the summer (I suppose) and it molded, and then tried to fix it by soaking it in soap. Sad.

I bet you can save the pan. Obviously not the seasoning, but you can re-season cast iron pans. It may take some serious scrubbing. For regular (non soap) cleaning, I have something called “Chainmail.” Yes...it looks like a 4” piece of midieval chainmail.

I’m a big fan of the press, though sometimes I’ll smash the clove with the side of a knife, slice it thin, and throw it in.

I too have a very solid traditional steel wok, and a non stick Calphalon wok...but something tells me I’ll be using the cast iron one a lot.

I use steel utensils on the grill, but strictly wood inside. Wood won’t damage pots and pans, and it won’t melt.

• Insolent Cur:
    I bet you can save the pan. Obviously not the seasoning, but you can re-season cast iron pans. It may take some serious scrubbing. For regular (non soap) cleaning, I have something called “Chainmail.” Yes...it looks like a 4” piece of midieval chainmail.
    I’m a big fan of the press, though sometimes I’ll smash the clove with the side of a knife, slice it thin, and throw it in.
    I too have a very solid traditional steel wok, and a non stick Calphalon wok...but something tells me I’ll be using the cast iron one a lot.
    I use steel utensils on the grill, but strictly wood inside. Wood won’t damage pots and pans, and it won’t melt.

Good to know it can be saved. I’ll look into the chain mail hahah

You’ll have that.
  • My go to pan is my calaphalon 12”
    I have three different Cast irons one for steaks 9”, one for deep frying 12” and about 6” deep, and then one for queso flameado it’s a smal 6” with about 3” depth.

Now my knives are my pride and joy
    •Miyabi Birchwood 8” chef knife
    Wust
    •Tojiro Japanese-Style Shirogami White Steel 270mm
    • Shigeki Tanaka Blue 2 steel Suminagashi Damascus Santoku knife 165mm
    • the rest is a JA henkles set 6 piece set

Live your life like the protagonist.
  • Papas Kev:
    My go to pan is my calaphalon 12”
    I have three different Cast irons one for steaks 9”, one for deep frying 12” and about 6” deep, and then one for queso flameado it’s a smal 6” with about 3” depth.
    Now my knives are my pride and joy
    •Miyabi Birchwood 8” chef knife
    Wust
    •Tojiro Japanese-Style Shirogami White Steel 270mm
    • Shigeki Tanaka Blue 2 steel Suminagashi Damascus Santoku knife 165mm
    • the rest is a JA henkles set 6 piece set

Nice set up, with some sweet blades!

Here is the wok I got yesterday. I’ve used the large cast iron pan for stir fry before, but need to become accustomed to how heat works with the shape and metal. It’s a heavy pan!!

I made a very simple veggie and Tofu stir fry, ultimately consumed over Jasmine rice. I’m looking forward to trying properly cut steak and veggies.

B3E071CE-14FD-48B4-B972-8F07A8670A09.jpg

7B3DC7B7-88AB-4552-93A9-061D1D321F79.jpg

• A lot of the pots & pans previously mentioned are the ones I trust and use. I can't live without my cast iron skillet though. It's used almost daily and I take it with me camping every time I go. My newest kitchen gadget however a Breville espresso machine. My little brother and I share an apartment together and he's wanting to open his own coffee shop someday so we bit the bullet and got an espresso machine. Nothing quite beats not having to leave your home on a rainy morning to go get an espresso or latte😋

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

@texxasred on IG
  • Invest in a great cast iron, that thing is versatile! We live in an apt so our steaks are all done by cast irons and I’ve grown a new found appreciation for it.

Edit: and by versatile I mean steaks and pizookies 😂

This post was edited Sep 16, 2020 09:27PM

West TX 🤘🏼
  • K-Hodge:
    Invest in a great cast iron, that thing is versatile!

I can’t emphasize that point enough! I noted above that I use my grandmother’s No. 12 (~13.5”) almost daily. You cook almost anything in it, as it’s “oven safe.” I’m lucky to have what I consider an “heirloom” pan. Once seasoned it doesn’t matter if it’s 80 years old or 8 hours old. Treat it right and it’ll last more than a lifetime. I’m 58 and my grandmother died in the early 1990’s at age 88.

This post was edited Sep 17, 2020 08:59AM

• I'm also a massive fan of cast iron. If it was only me in my house that's all I'd have. And you can DEFINITELY save the pan! Cast iron is incredibly resilient, even if it's rusted pretty well, you can always scrub it with steel wool and reseason like new!

- M.
  • Just recently purchased a cast iron for the first time, working on getting it seasoned with each use. Here are a few shots from its first use on a camping trip.

588652B6-C0F7-47AA-A929-3A84C45D4E7F.jpg

5B2297C1-0122-4AD8-AAEC-A94E969E338A.jpg

96FE6F29-135C-4915-AED0-3C6C3EAF36E0.jpg

81835EA6-FE85-43F9-AB5B-3EAF8D58E872.jpg

See ya on the trails!
  • Today I got a new cast iron, enamel coated, 6qt Dutch Oven, for baking sourdough bread. Yeahhh Buddy! 🥘

• We are finally starting to use our cast iron griddle/grill pan. The griddle is great for breakfast.

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. - P. J. O'Rourke
  • Bryan B.:
    We are finally starting to use our cast iron griddle/grill pan. The griddle is great for breakfast.

I bet! I use a 14” cast iron skillet that belonged to my grandmother. It’s perfect for breakfast.

• texxasred. :
    A lot of the pots & pans previously mentioned are the ones I trust and use. I can't live without my cast iron skillet though. It's used almost daily and I take it with me camping every time I go. My newest kitchen gadget however a Breville espresso machine. My little brother and I share an apartment together and he's wanting to open his own coffee shop someday so we bit the bullet and got an espresso machine. Nothing quite beats not having to leave your home on a rainy morning to go get an espresso or latte😋

that's a nice one right here brotha

Go Noles!
  • I don't own anything crazy. just an cast iron and a set from Costco. other than that nothing fancy over here.

Go Noles!
  • MattCam:
    Just recently purchased a cast iron for the first time, working on getting it seasoned with each use. Here are a few shots from its first use on a camping trip.

caught in action nice stuff

Go Noles!
  • Mostly everyone seems to have a wok and know I feel like I should get one

Deer's are terrible mathematicians
  • For the first time in my life, I have a somewhat comprehensive kitchen set. One thing I’m really excited about is a Dutch oven!

You’ll have that.
  • 10” Lodge cast iron skillet is my go-to cooking vessel. My wife also bought me a 24” walnut Boos cutting board when we moved into our new place that I love.

Knives, I have an 8” Wusthoff chef’s knife that I really like. I also got the OG Big Boy, Landon Chinese cleaver, earlier this year that’s awesome.

Also have a Hario V60 that gets used daily for pour overs.

Adventurer, photographer, musician, and tikiphile.