Vegan recipes?

Sep 20, 2020 - 12:03 PM

Viewed 220 times

• One of the main reasons I've been stopped from living a meatless diet is really from the lack of knowing any vegan recipes and or great alternatives. Can someone help me with what I can make?

Deer's are terrible mathematicians
  • @theengineerdeer Are you looking to go meatless (vegetarian), or avoid all meat, dairy, eggs...basically go wholly plant based (vegan)?

This post was edited Sep 20, 2020 01:18PM

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.” - HST
  • @insolentcur I should've probably specified but I mean let vegetarian and I'm just trying to cut back on meat

• @theengineerdeer Tons of vegetarian resources online, but I’ve always had good luck (and good food) using the classic, original Moosewood Cookbook. My copy is 40 years old and has yet to let me down.

• @insolentcur I'll see what there is

• Bon Appetit would probably have a lot of recipes. I use them a lot when I'm trying to find dishes. Love and Lemons is also a good resource.

This post was edited Sep 22, 2020 12:23PM
  • The “Clean Food Dirty Girl” group on Facebook is also a good resource for a plant based diet.

• I have a ton of resources now, thanks everybody!

• I would go vegan for lent some years so I had to find some good recipes to stay alive, here are my favorite:

Black Bean Lasagna:
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/black-bean-lasagna-recipe-2120819

Grilled Veggie Tacos:
    https://minimalistbaker.com/poblano-and-portobello-fajitas/

Enjoy!

“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.” - Mewtwo
  • I prefer vegan meals made with protein-rich whole grains, beans, and nuts. My wife really loves tofu. Vegan dieters actually saw the most weight loss, losing five pounds more than non-vegetarians. Source - https://fine-health.com/category/celebrities/. That's why I eat only vegan food now.

• This happens to be vegan. It’s “creamy” root veggie soup, and it’s really easy to make.

I started with two quarts of vegetable broth, four potatoes, half dozen beets, and a bunch of carrots. I washed and cubed the veggies and added them to the broth in the (new) cast iron Dutch oven.

Cooked the cubed veggies for about 45 minutes. Then I added three coffee scoops of jasmine rice to the cauldron and let it cook for another 20 minutes.

Placed the immersion blender into the pot and began to blend. Remember to wait until the blade is submerged before turning it on, and don’t lift it out of the soup while the blades are spinning. It’s a mistake you make only once. 😉

After blending the mixture smooth, the taste test told me it needed garlic. I threw in four small smashed cloves and let it cook for another 30 minutes. Then back in with the immersion blender to finish the emulsifying including the now cooked garlic.

Ladle into a bowl and enjoy.

E393CD11-873E-4A44-AA73-B7E36AAE9C2C.jpg

B0B40A3B-FB89-4AB8-8FD9-4510C48B90E7.jpg

26B00290-4F15-448E-8C8E-B2015C2985B0.jpg

CC36034C-275D-4210-B39B-B3E073E76A48.jpg

AC62B84C-2D7C-48A6-8210-BBA6AF7B1152.mov

• Wow...the root veggie soup is amazing when eaten cold!! Yes!!

My 85 yo mom gave me a recipe for curried butternut squash and apple soup, when I called to tell her about the root veggie soup. I think I know what’s happening in the kitchen tomorrow!

• Oh hell, yeah! This is going down sometime this Fall.

Slow Cooker Spicy Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021554-slow-cooker-spicy-black-bean-and-sweet-potato-chili?campaign_id=58&emc=edit_ck_20201026&instance_id=23442&nl=cooking&regi_id=6948349&segment_id=42294&te=1&user_id=0f6c86e1b76b05d62b15d9cd0452d337

This post was edited Oct 27, 2020 04:56PM

• Forks over knives website

Life’s a garden, dig it!