Food from scratch

Oct 1, 2020 - 4:58 PM

Viewed 84 times

• What can you cook from scratch and what is something you'd rather just buy pre-made?

From scratch I can throw down some mean Chicken Parm and Lasagna. A lot of bakery items are on the list of things I like oven ready.

West TX 🤘🏼
  • Another lazy day, another lazily made grilled cheese

Deer's are terrible mathematicians
  • Almost anything, though there are plenty of things where I don’t want to deal with the hassle of more involved dishes, especially if it’s just for me.

Now, I’m just resuming cooking after four years of minimal effort, but the key is to be engaged. If you haven’t made the dish before, follow the recipe and check out some videos. Once you’ve got it down and you know what you like, the recipe becomes a basic template from which you can then get creative.

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.” - HST
  • @insolentcur agree with the dishes part, nothing worse than enjoying the nice meal and looking over to see the dishes that need to be put away. This pandemic has challenged me to cook more and think about what i'm putting in my body. Made me a lot more aware of the ingredients and to really experiment with different types of flavors.

West TX 🤘🏼
  • I agree that most bakery items I’d rather just buy. Mostly because I’m not a baker. I feel like baking requires more precision and science, whereas I throw stuff together and make it to taste.

There’s a local baker that makes cheddar and sundried tomato sourdough. It’s so good. Can’t get sourdough elsewhere without wishing it was Kalama Sourdough.

You’ll have that.
  • YetiRover:
    I agree that most bakery items I’d rather just buy. Mostly because I’m not a baker. I feel like baking requires more precision and science, whereas I throw stuff together and make it to taste.
    There’s a local baker that makes cheddar and sundried tomato sourdough. It’s so good. Can’t get sourdough elsewhere without wishing it was Kalama Sourdough.

cheddar and sundried tomato sourdough sounds like something I need to have in my near future. Lately i've been eating a lot of rosemary sourdough, soft and simple but love the flavor rosemary adds to it.

West TX 🤘🏼
  • K-Hodge:
    @insolentcur agree with the dishes part, nothing worse than enjoying the nice meal and looking over to see the dishes that need to be put away. This pandemic has challenged me to cook more and think about what i'm putting in my body. Made me a lot more aware of the ingredients and to really experiment with different types of flavors.

I meant dishes as in the meal, but...since you mention it, cleaning dishes sucks!! 😂

• YetiRover:
    I agree that most bakery items I’d rather just buy. Mostly because I’m not a baker. I feel like baking requires more precision and science, whereas I throw stuff together and make it to taste.

Ithaca Bakery makes “Cheddar-Chive Biscuits.” They’re insanely good!! Probably the richest non-dessert baked good I’ve ever had. Nuke one for 20 seconds, and you’ve died and gone to savory baked goods heaven.

• The Engineer Deer:
    Another lazy day, another lazily made grilled cheese

shit man you gotta add the tomatoe soup

Go Noles!
  • I would like to learn to make European-style baked goods. Bread from Italy to Ireland is better than anything we have here. Butter, too, although Kerry Gold is available here now, so that’s good.

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences. - P. J. O'Rourke